Monday, March 23, 2009

Confessions of a Suburban Housewife


My name is Kimberly. K-I-M-B-E-R-L-Y.
I have a problem.
I am developing a crush on a 17 year old blood sucker named Edward.

It's not actually my fault. I resisted the urge to join in the mania that is Twilight.
I admit to rolling my snobby eyes at moms everywhere in their I heart Edward tee shirts.

Teen fiction? Really? This is what I said to myself.
No thanks. I'm kind of above that. I answered back.

This was my view and I was sticking. to. it.

....Until last week.

All the girls in my family received a VIP invitation to a Twilight party. When you have a dad who is the father of five daughters and grandfather of nine granddaughters, he gets girl stuff.

My dad, with a little help from mom, will be hosting all of us tomorrow night.
Since I refuse to see a movie before I have read the book, I succumbed.

And now, I have joined the ranks of housewives everywhere who sit around in pajamas mindlessly reading while dishes set in the sink, laundry piles up, dental appointments go forgotten and dinners go unmade.

I won't even elaborate on the poor, neglected husband who was chastised last night for trying to fall asleep when I was in the middle of a scary part.

Oh Edward, Edward. Your ice cold grasp has sucked me in.

It's embarrassing. It's juvenile. Pathetic, I know.

I can't help it.
I heart Edward too.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

You make me laugh. I am glad to know I am not the only pathetic one! The book is better than the movie, although, the movie is still good. Keep reading. You haven't even gotten to the good stuff!

Funk Master B said...

What's not to like? Defined facial features, pale skin (not just a northwest thing by the way), and those "flawless lips."

I've always been more partial to werewolves, but they already made a teen drama about that. In fact, they made two of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Wolf

I'd rather lick broken glass than even dip my toe in the Twilight pool. But I congratulate you on your (brutal) honesty.

Terry said...

I resemble that remark! Welcome to the club! :)

Melissa said...

Pathetic, yes (as I anxiously wait to get the 2nd book from Jenny)
SEE YA TONIGHT!!!!!!!

Aimee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie Jones said...

If you don't have great expectations for the movie, then it is ok. However, the more I watch it, the more I like it. I am going on 5 times now thanks to Katie!

Anonymous said...

I think I was in the same boat as you. I didn't want to know anything that was happening with this weird Vampire and he was just the PERFECT man.. Then I got brain washed into reading them while I was living in Texas. And I gotta say IT'S AWESOME..

Terry said...

Wow,you must really be addicted...you haven't posted since you started reading! LOL :)