Thursday, July 23, 2009

Inner Beauty


July 24 is a big holiday around these parts. It is a day that we celebrate the Mormon Pioneers entering the Salt Lake Valley.

During the month of July there are all kinds of fun activities going on throughout the community. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to take the kids to Family Fun Day at This is the Place State Park. We had a great time touring an old pioneer village and making crafts, not to mention that it was an all you can eat popsicle party.
They also had a Mini Days of '47 pageant that kids could try out for. The winners of the pageant would get to ride on an old fashioned fire truck in the children's parade the next week.

That caught the attention of a certain 11 year old. Rachel waited in line for a turn to interview with the adult royalty who also happened to be the judges.
When she came out she said, "I think it went pretty well."

Later that afternoon they had a program to announce the winners of the pageant. Lincoln put an arm around Rachel and said, "You're going to win, I know it!" He was more like a nervous father than a twin brother.

They announced the two attendants and then the queen.
Linc was right! Rachel won!
I was in the very back so I quickly scrambled up to the front to snap some pictures.
Rachel received a pink, sparkly cowboy hat with a tiara on it and a bunch of gifts
wrapped up in cellophane.
As Rachel exited the stage, she had a sad expression on her face. "What's wrong?" I asked.
She nodded toward a little girl. I looked over to see the girl sobbing in her mother's arms.

Instinctively, Rachel walked over and sat down next to them. She put an arm around the girl and gave her the prizes. Then she said something to the girl. They hugged and Rachel left.

"What did you say to her?", I asked.
"I told her that it didn't really matter who won, and that she is very beautiful and she should try again next time."

A few minutes later, the girl, her mother and little sister found us.
The girl had dried her tears and with a sweet smile, she said to Rach, "Thank you for making me feel special." Then she gave Rachel another hug. As they were walking away, the baby sister ran back and threw her arms around Rachel's legs.

That moment in time was one of the highlights of my life so far. As we walked to the car I told Rachel that I am very happy for her. Being the queen is a big deal and it will be a fun memory. But the kindness and sensitivity that she showed is what matters most to me. Tears rolled down my face and I did not apologize for them.

Last Saturday was the big parade. We had a cheering section for Rach and I know it will be a memory she will never forget.

When Rachel looks back on summer memories, she will remember the hat, the parade, the fun.

I will remember the tenderness of a moment when inner beauty was the real winner.


9 comments:

Scarehaircare said...

Congrats Rach! I am so proud of you, too. (and teary.....)

Amy said...

That is so awesome... Congrats Rachel- you are a great example.

Mindi said...

Just awesome. Huge payday for proud parents.

Melissa said...

This kid makes me cry so easily. I feel more like a 2nd mom than an Auntie sometimes. I love you Rachel.

Emma Barlow said...

Ya! Rach sorry we did't make it we did't know when or where:-(

wylie said...

I read your post a few days ago and keep thinking about it--thank you Rachel for being tender-hearted and noticing another's disappointment amidst your own success. What a truly beautiful girl you are!

Angela said...

Kimberly- please let Rachel know I'm sorry I didn't come. She called me a week before but she didn't know where or when and she said she would call me back but didn't. So I made a special trip to your place the night before but your whole family was out (the baby-sitter was there- I think we made her nervous cuz' her Mom swung by a moment later) and went to Marilyn and Farrell's but they weren't home either. I left a message on Marilyn's phone but she said she forgot to call me back. I'm real sorry because I wanted to be there so much. The pics look great though. I didn't want her to think John and I blew her off- we would never :)

Angelica and Bryan said...

We love you Rach!

Jenny said...

Such a great girl! She is everything you have taught her!