Friday, October 23, 2009

Confessions of a Germ Freak

It's not easy being the son or daughter(s) of a germ freak.
Oh the things you have to endure.

Constant handwashing, the habit of not touching public handrails, door knobs or elevator buttons.

Only using a public restroom in case of emergency, sanitizing the grocery cart and above all else, NEVER walking barefoot in a hotel room or lying around on the bedspread.

I know.
They'll need therapy later.

For the most part, they go along with me.  In their world, this type of thing is normal.
So they really shouldn't have been too surprised when I abrubptly checked them out of school last week and hauled them to the Health Department for an H1N1 vaccine.

Since it was the first day it was being offered, there were about 362, 987 other moms with the same idea.
We filled out the paperwork and waited, and waited, and waited.

I started to get a little edgy with the crowds of people in such close quarters.  Then I made a keen and wonderful observation.  Almost all the moms around me were feeling the same way.  They had their personal hand sanitizer, used their own pens, kept their babies covered, and brought books and other things to keep the little ones occupied instead of letting them play with the Health Department's toys.

We are among friends!  I happily proclaimed.

Samantha took a wipe out of my purse and started washing the chairs.  "Yes, she's mine," I said to the nice and very impressed lady next to me.

Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.  Crossing our fingers that we don't get that nasty swine flu and that the twins don't have to miss school due to illness.  They need all the education they can get. 

After all, education = good jobs = ability to afford their own therapy bills.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I carry hand sanitizer on my KEYCHAIN!! (Although I wouldn't claim that my home is germ-free).... We've only gotten the regular flu shot....we're gearing up for the next round. :)

Meredith said...

So I'm laughing and making a mental commitment to always use my own pen at the same time.

Jenny said...

Oh, Kimberly. How I do love you. I don't know how you can even stand to be around me. You would cringe at the things my kids do (you probably already have, several times!). We pretty much have a rule that if it was our food to begin with, Mason can eat it from where ever...car seat, cement, grass. I do sanitize my cart at the store and I do use my own pen. I NEVER have hand sanitizer...there...it is out! No sanitizer in my purse. Will you still be my friend?

wylie said...

I loved that post, made me feel better . . . not alone in my germ freakishness =)

Kimberly said...

Jenny-
Hand sanitizer or not, you are still, and always will be at the top of my friend list!

Melissa said...

We must be related.. Which parent should we blame for this never ending stress!