Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Essence of Thirteen-ness

Today is a crossroads of sorts.
Today is a turning point and a defining moment.

Today, these precious bundles of sweetness will officially become teenagers.

The day they were born was the happiest day of my life up to that point.
After five long years of waiting, hoping, wishing, longing, I became a mother.
There is no other joy like it.
There is no other love quite like it.
They captured me, heart and soul.

And you know what?
Thirteen years later, I can still stay that I have never gotten over the thrill of having these two.
They are not perfect kids, but they are the perfect kids for me.

I wanted to find a way to preserve their personalities, their thoughts, the essence of their thirteen-ness today so that as they continue to grow and change, I can remember what thirteen was like.

The other day I ran into a mom who's son is a classmate of Lincoln & Rachel's. She asked me if I had seen what the twins had posted on the class website.  When I went home and read these couple of paragraphs, I knew that their own words would do more to remind me who they are, than mine ever could.

Each week the teacher poses a question and the kids have to respond.
Here are their words:

Question for week #7
If you had to give a gift to someone, who would you give it to and what would it be?

Rachel:  I would give a gift to my cousin Lauren.  She has Down Syndrome.  She is so cute!  My gift would be that she wouldn't be treated differently than other kids.  Even though she might talk and act differently than other kids, she is the sweetest little girl I have ever met.  I wish people would never be mean to her or make fun of her.  I look up to her so much!  She is only eight and yet she has had open heart surgery.  I am glad that she is special because she has taught me to be a better person and to be grateful for the many things that I have.  I love you Lauren!!!!  Thank you.

Lincoln:  I would give my beloved sister a mall.  Yes, a mall.  She loves clothes, accessories, the boys she could meet at the mall, the whole shabang!!!  She is such a great sister and I love her.

Rachel:  Thank you Link!  You're the bestest friend I have!  You are an amazing person and I really look up to you.  I love you and always will.  I would love a mall!  That would be pretty sweet!!  You know me too well!  You are one in a million, thank you.

Love for others.  Malls and clothes.  Accessories and boys.  (In all fairness, we should include girls on this list for Linc, but as part of the Motherly Code of Conduct I will refrain from elaborating at this time.)

But my favorite part of their thirteen-ness is the love they have for each other.  They are different in so many ways and yet the same in all the ways that count.  They really are the best of friends in an old married couple sort of way.

Welcome #13, I think we're going to get along just fine.

Happy Birthday my Twins.
I love you.

9 comments:

Scarehaircare said...

I am in tears right now. My classmates were wondering why I had tears running down my face so I read to them Rachel's words. Rach, you have warmed my heart today. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father blessed Lauren with such a great cousin. She looks up to you, talks about you constantly, and prays for you every night.

Much love and hugs to your whole family.

Jenny said...

Beautiful! I love those two. Happy birthday to you you both! Thanks for being such a great example to those around you:).

Melissa said...

Love them! Love them! Love them!
Happy Birthday!
From one proud Lissie

Terry said...

Wow...what beautiful kids. :) Awesome pictures.

Anna said...

I always think how hard twins would be when they are babies. But how fun twins must be as they get older. They are so lucky to have eachother.

Lincoln Farrell and Marilyn Barlow said...

Happy Birthday
From a far off place
From two people who love you both very. very much.

Angela said...

Yay for 13! John and I talked about it being their 13th birthday that day and remembered all the fun that comes along with that age. I can't believe I have known them since they were tiny little babies. Still as cute as ever.

Marianne said...

Happy Late Birthday to the twins. They are such good kids!

Tiffany said...

Happy Birthday you two! Hope you had a great day. Thanks for both of your examples and friendship to my kids! Love you both!