Friday, December 12, 2008

Twelve Dates Of Christmas

What to get the husband for Christmas?
That is the question that has been swirling through my head for the past two weeks.

Mark loves gadgets and golf.
I thought about a new ipod but he said the old one works fine.
A Kindle would be fun but they are back ordered until February.
A new Garmin would be good but it just didn't seem like the right gift.

I moved on to the golf idea. But then I remembered Mark saying once that if there are two things in life that a guy should pick out for himself, they are golf clubs and tv's.

Hmmmm.Sigh.Groan.Tap Fingers.
What to do?

Completely stumped, I plopped down on the couch to spend a little time with my good friend, Oprah. I can usually count on her for some thought provoking ideas. The topic for that day was Christmas ideas that don't cost a lot.

A young couple talked about how they celebrate the "Twelve Dates of Christmas". They think of twelve things to do together, one per day. The idea is giving each other the gift of time.

I loved it!

So the past few days I have been busy plotting and planning. Some ideas don't cost anything, others have gifts attached. Some "dates" include the kids, others are for just the two of us.

I typed up each date then I went to the dollar store and bought pretty bags, cards and Christmas boxes to put them in. I added some sparkly ribbons and bows and put them under the tree. Mark gets to open one each day.

Here are our twelve dates:

1st date of Christmas: Everything we will need for a cozy night of Christmas movie watching. (pajama bottoms, warm tee shirt, new slippers, a big bowl for popcorn and a bottle of rootbeer)

2nd date: Dinner and bowling at Fat Cats for family night.

3rd date: A late night walk in the park. (New running shoes, warm socks, hat, gloves and scarf)
(Mugs and hot chocolate for when we get back)

4th date: I will drive down to his office and take him to lunch.

5th date: A Family drive to see the Christmas lights at Thanksgiving Point, we'll stop for a treat on the way home.

6th date: Your feet, my treat. (Items to give him a great massage)

7th date: An afternoon date. (A gift card for lunch and movie tickets)

8th date: Family game night. (A couple of new games and treats)

9th date: Dinner and family night at Temple Square. (A gift card for dinner and some thermals to wear outside)

10th date: This one involves a little romance so I'll keep it private. (wink,wink)

11th date: Christmas Eve... kids asleep...us curled up in front of the Christmas tree.

12th date: This gift is so top secret that I can't post at this time for fear that kids might stumble upon it. Let's just say it involves some place warm and sunny.

I also attached little love notes to each gift because sometimes those are the things that matter most.

I can't wait for Sunday.

Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Jana said...

what a brilliant and fun idea! I will definitely have to keep this one in my memory pocket for next year!
Mark is going to have one Merry Christmas and apparently a warm New Year (ha ha).

Scarehaircare said...

Brilliant is right. I am going to copy it but I will have him open all 12 on Christmas. By the time he is done suing them up, it will be time for the 14 Days of Valentines.

Angela said...

I guess Mark must not read this thing for you're not fearful of him knowing what his next gift is. Very sweet idea.

Habs said...

Oh, this sounds like so much fun! What a great way to celebrate Christmas. You are so thoughtful.