Sunday, February 7, 2010

Dinner Time Rut

I don't like to cook.
Call me crazy but I would much rather clean the house or mow the lawn than be stuck in the kitchen.

It's not that I can't cook.
I can make a tasty Sunday dinner and I am pretty good at following a recipe.
But overall, the whole nightly dinner dilemma has got to be my most un-favorite part of the day.

Despite my lack of fondness for the kitchen, I really love sitting down with the family for dinner.
It is a time to check in with each other.
Sometimes it is the only part of the day when we are all together.
There is something about gathering each nigh that keeps us close and connected.
We have had some of our very best discussions around the dinner table.

So, I keep on keeping on.
I go through cycles of great meals and cycles of grilled cheese and canned soup.
Lately I've been stuck in the canned soup department and I feel bad about it.
Mark and the kids never complain, which only adds to the guilt.

I've been trying, looking, hoping to find motivation to do better.
Over the last couple of days, I found it.

Thanks to two good friends, Jana and Marianne, I can honestly say that I am looking forward to dinnertime.  I have hit the refresh button in this area of my life and I am ready to get going!
I feel like shouting, Bring it on, Baby!

If you happen to be in the same dinner rut, give these websites a try:
simplifysupper.com
ourbestbites.com

Also, I would love any other sites or helps you know of that make dinner time more fun for busy moms.
Here's to families and delicious dinners!
Happy Cooking!

4 comments:

wylie said...

I'm excited to look at the websites, thanks!

Julie Jones said...

How about I cook your dinner and you clean my house...deal?

Melissa said...

I'm with you. I have a really hard time with dinner time. I don't enjoy cooking at all. I'm totally going to look at the websites you offered. Hopefully I can get out of the rut too.

Tonya said...

I have a cookbook that I always seem to end up back using. It is called "Saving Dinner" by Leanne Ely. Recipes aren't bad and usually no canned soup is used.