Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Change of Plans



Well here we are at February 16.
This month hasn't  exactly gone as planned.
I hate it when that happens.
I am a careful planner by nature and it really bothers me when things take an unexpected turn or two.

Remember all my Valentine surprises?
The romance, the candles, the chocolate?
It didn't work out so well.

I also had big plans for the twins and Sam.
Little notes, treats and surprises that are still sitting in a bag in the closet.

Life happened.

Pneumonia,
two baseball trips,
one business trip,
winter scout camp
and a bout with stomach flu dropped by.

Disappointing, to say the least.
At midnight I was lying in bed feeling sorry for myself.
A throw up bucket and laptop were tucked in next to me, you know the spot where my traveling husband should have been.

Then right there between gags and heaves, something unexpected and wonderful happened.
I stumbled upon a love story in its truest sense.
A story so raw, so real, so human that it touched and filled my heart to the overflow mark.

After reading this story, I reconsidered my inflexible nature.
Flexible is good.
A change of plans can be a great thing, I said to myself.

So today I am resetting the clock.
Pretending that it's February 2.
Reverse, rewind, re-do, that's my motto today.

Does it really matter that the calendar says Valentine's is over and done with?
No, not really.

Starting tonight, love is back in the air and not just for the man in my life.
The next two weeks are a celebration of family love.
I want my husband and kids to know how amazing I think they are and how lucky I feel to be theirs.

Here's to a change of plans,
 flexibility 
and the God given, joy filled, sometimes very human emotion we call love.


 Nella's story.  It's worth the time, I promise.
http://enjoyingthesmallthings.blogspot.com/2010/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html



5 comments:

Scarehaircare said...

Good for you! Who says you have to be tied down by a calendar? I found more treats I forgot to give Mr. Wonderful and gave them to him last night.

Meredith said...

We missed you at the Stake Dance. I hope you're feeling better and that you enjoy re-celebrating Valentine's.

Lincoln Farrell and Marilyn Barlow said...

Nella's Story certainly does put it all into perspective. Thanks for the life check - need those once in a while.

Sarah said...

Your careful planning got me on track. Thanks to you I was inspired to plan my own 14 days. Of course everything didn't go according to plan, but it was fun to do. Thanks! I hope everyone is feeling better now.

Jenny said...

It is good to know that even the most organized person in the world gets off track every now and then! I am glad the flu is gone and you can be back to your super self:). Nella's Story was worth reading. Thanks for sharing.