Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lessons From Lauren

Seven years ago, a precious little niece twinkled down from heaven and landed firmly in our hearts.
She arrived in the way most babies around here do....
in a comfortable and clean hospital with a loving and excited family awaiting her debut.

We visited a couple of hours after she was born.
I remember holding her and snapping pictures of the twins with their new cousin.
We talked about how beautiful she was and how alert she seemed.
We hugged the new mom and patted the new dad on the back.



Then we left for home.
Not knowing.
Never guessing.
Completely unaware that this little girl would change the way we saw things.
She had come to teach us lessons about love and kindness that we wouldn't be able to fully grasp without her presence in our lives.

The next day, a sweet sister in law, Christie came by to tell me the news.
Lauren had been born with Down Syndrome.

I stood there stunned.  I had held little Lauren the previous night and it never crossed my mind.
I remember crying and hugging Christie.
I hope that doesn't sound shallow.

We wondered what it would mean for Carrie and Dean and their three sons.

As time has passed we  have come to see for ourselves exactly what it has meant for Carrie and Dean and their three sons.

They are an amazing family.
They have a unique lens of compassion through which they see the world.
Lauren has taught them.
She has shown them what love without limits or boundaries looks like.

I too, have learned by watching Lauren and her family.
It has made me more sensitive to things that I had never really thought about before.
A few years ago, Carrie educated our extended family about use of the r-word.
I had heard people say that word over the years but I had never really thought much about it.

I have heard the r-word used at school, youth activities, the store and a dozen other places. I have heard it used by the old, the young and everyone in between. I feel prickles on the back of my neck every time I hear it.  I think people in general just don't know how hurtful it can be to people with intellectual disabilities.

I emailed Carrie and asked her for some guidance about the r-word and other things that I could teach my Beehive class about.    I asked her very blunt and direct questions because sometimes we don't know how to interact with people who are different.  But, when we know better, we can do better.

The following is a link to the letter the Carrie sent me.
It is beautifully written from a mother's heart.
I hope you will take the time to read it and then discuss with your family the use of the r-word,
people first language and other Lessons from Lauren.


Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Ray Adams said...

I am glad your teaching the youth about the r-word...I have a 8x11 sign in my office at work banning the r-word because I got so sick and tired of hearing it. People really do not understand how hurtful that word is.

wylie said...

Thank Kimberly, thanks for sharing part of your heart, thanks for sharing part of your family and thanks for sharing part of your passion and love for you niece.

Melissa said...

I loved this and the letter from Carrie. I think every youth group and sadly, lots of adults need to read this. Thanks for sharing.