Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dear Grandkids

Dear Grandkids,

Even though I am about 15 years or so away from meeting you, I have been thinking about you. I hope that at least 3 of you have red hair and about 250,000 freckles but if not, I'll love you anyway.

Today I was thinking about my two grandmothers, Maude and Helena. How I loved them, how I miss them. What a treasure it would be for me to have a little glimpse of their lives when they were my age.

I wonder what filled their days, what their worries were, what their hopes and dreams looked like.
 Then a little idea sprouted: Why not write a series of letters to you...

After all, no one else really cares that:

I'm 86% Democrat.
I love Rocky Road ice cream and spaghetti with meatballs.
My house is clean, my car is not.
I have been completely, entirely and thoroughly in love with same same man since I was 17.
I cannot bake a loaf of bread and sewing a button causes me great anxiety.
I rarely get angry and hardly ever get offended,  but if someone deeply hurts me I have a hard time forgiving.
I wish my body was thinner and my hair was thicker.
I wish I had a musical or artistic talent.
I'm a good listener.
My wardrobe consists mostly of cheap jeans and tee-shirts.
My friends know they can count on me.
My hands look like they belong to an 80 year old and gray hairs are giving the others a run for their money.
I have close, loving relationships with my three joys.  They are my heart and soul.
I don't mind dirty work.
I brush my teeth about 8-10 times a day but I hardly ever floss.
I've never been on a cruise or traveled out of the country but I'd like to.
I am profoundly religious but can't ride a roller coaster without a minor curse word (or two) slipping out.

That's me in a nutshell.  Nothing fancy, nothing notable, nothing anyone would really care about...
except you, my dear grandbabies.  Someday, you might wonder what your grandmother thought or felt or did.  Something I write might reach through the years and generations and touch you, encourage you or help you through a difficult time.

It is with that hope, that I close my first letter to you.

With love,
Grandma, Granny, Gran, Grandmother
Hmmm I'l have to give this some thought.

(for now) Kimberly

5 comments:

Terry said...

Oh, this is such a fantastic idea! You are so cute! Do you mind if I steal this idea? What a wonderful way for not only your grandkids to get to know you, but everyone else too! You brush your teeth 8-10 times a day??? No wonder you have such a great twinkly smile :) Oh, and I know you have artistic abilities...I have heard you play the piano and seen what you can make for primary singing time. AND you are a wonderful writer!! Give yourself some credit! You are awesome!

hannah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenny said...

You forgot to mention hand sanitizer! I want your grandkids to know that I love everything about you! I know they won't see this comment but you will:).

Angela said...

You are hilarious :) How can you have never been out of the country? You and Mark need to make a pact to give up a few of your Disneyland trips and go somewhere amazing- I can give you some recommendations. There's so much to see that doesn't include Micky Mouse ears. You guys work hard- you deserve it. And no kids :)

Julie Jones said...

I was just telling Sean today that I can't wait to have grandkids. You are going to be an amazing grandma!