Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Costco

May 20, 2008

Dear Costco Wholesale Warehouse,

It's Kimberly. You know, the friendly brunette who likes to visit you faithfully?

The reason that I am writing is because I have noticed that I am developing a love / hate type of relationship with you.

You see Costco, I love that I can buy many useful items such as diapers, wipes and formula in bulk. I mean where else can a hard working mom pick up a big container of fancy pre-cut, pre-washed salad for under 4.00? That stuff looks so pretty in a bowl on the dinner table that I feel like a gourmet chef.

Yes, I have definitely saved money shopping with you, and since I am happily married to Mr. Save for a Rainy Day, you have been good for my marriage.

That was until yesterday when I was cleaning out my purse. I came across receipt after receipt. It appears that I am unable to exit your doors without spending a minimum of 100.00.

I arrive with every intention of only buying the items that I came for. I leave with random things that happen to catch my eye and find their way into my cart.

Part of the problem, Costco, is the nice senior citizens in hair nets that offer samples. I feel a twinge of guilt when I eagerly take a taste and then not purchase what they are selling. I find myself not wanting to make eye contact or thank them because I feel bad.

I don't want to be the cause for someone's grandpa feeling rejected.
So, I have come home with rice crackers, fruit leather, dino bites and frozen cheesecakes.

It is not entirely their fault. I have been enticed and manipulated by other things too.

Did I really need three sets of the same shorts in varying shades of brown? Was the 5lb. bag of pretzels necessary? How about the books I bought back in January that have not even been opened?

Oh Costco, this is not good. If Mr. Save for a Rainy Day knew this information, it may cause him to raise an eyebrow.

So starting today, I will gain control over this issue. I am going to visit you this afternoon. I will allow myself to browse a bit. I will probably have a sample or two. I am skipping breakfast so that I can enjoy a diet coke and a 600 calorie slice of pizza for lunch, but I will NOT purchase any items that are not on my list.

I will not.
I will not.
I will not.

I would like to thank you for listening. I hope our relationship will continue. I'm sure that there are other moms who will make up for my new resolve and that your profits won't be too affected.

Your friend,

Kimberly

4 comments:

michele84084 said...

Ahhh the bulk warehouse trap! I know it well. Good luck on your quest for shopping purity. Its a task I have failed many times

Aimee said...

I hear Winder Farms home delivery may save you some money on impulse shopping. :)

Anonymous said...

So funny Kimberly. You are FOR SURE not the only one guilty of the "costco" syndrome. I won't go anymore because of it. I send Casey, which is WAY worse, but then he can't get mad at me for spending hundreds of dollars on things we supposedly don't need. If I came home with boxes of candy bars I think there might be a problem. But since he makes the money, I don't say a word - I just make sure he picks up the diapers, tortillas, and wipes that I always am in need of.

Jana said...

I saw someone who figured out how to avoid this trap when I went to Sam's club today. They came on a motorcycle!! Not much room to haul home $100.00 plus dollars worth of stuff in that. I contemplated the idea as I put my cart full of stuff into my S.U..V and decided it probably would not work real well for car pools! oh well.