Monday, May 5, 2008

Country Girl

Have you ever had a conversion of the soul? The kind of experience that stops you cold and turns you in a new direction? The type of feeling that is so undeniable that you never look back?

I had one of those moments exactly six years ago. It was May 5, 2002.

I had borrowed my sister's mini van to pick up a load of flowers from the garden center. Mini vans are handy in so many ways. For example, did you know that you can pop out the back seats? Presto, you suddenly have a big, yet enclosed space, perfect for transporting delicate flowers.

I decided to turn the radio on during the drive. Of course a country station was playing, my sister loves country music.

I didn't like country music so I quickly pressed another button.

More twang.

I tried a third time, country again.

Hmmm I said to myself, I guess I'll endure it.

This is when that life changing moment occurred.
Somewhere between South Jordan and Lehi, I fell in love.

"Bring on the Rain' was the first country song I had ever listened to in its entirety. It spoke to me. "Good Morning Beautiful" was next, quite possibly the sweetest song ever written.

When I got back to my sister's I asked her to write down all the good artists to that I could download some music. She did. I spent the next day acquainting myself with Shaniah Twain, Toby Keith and Tim & Faith among others.

Other than Radio Disney (not by choice) I have never listened to any other type of music since that day.

I slowly converted Mark - although he still refuses to wear a cowboy hat or boots.

We are big fans around here. When we took the twins to a Kenny Chesney concert, we sang every word of every song.


We all have our personal favorites:
Mark likes Montgomery Gentry.
Martina is my favorite.
Lincoln is a big fan of Rascal Flats and
Rach can sing like Taylor Swift.

If you are not yet a country fan, I invite you to to give it a chance! You can find a song for any occasion. You can find a story about any subject. You will laugh at the silliness of it and you might even cry at the tender songs.

Maybe you will become a convert too!

4 comments:

Anna said...

Joe and I are big Rascal Flatts fans. I love country because it is usually so clean. Occasionally it gets to twangy and I just can't handle it, but usually we're tuned in to kbull 93.

michele84084 said...

Oh Kim!! Country, really? Well- I admire you despite the fact you love country!

Julie Jones said...

I tried and tried, really I did. Sean likes it, so I have to suffer through it every once in a while. Give me a little Fergi and I am a happy girl!!

Melissa said...

You need to go to Nashville!