Sunday, July 20, 2008

Changing the World, One at a Time


Meet Farrell and Marilyn Barlow.

They have been happily married for the past 40 or so years. They raised seven outstanding children and buried one precious infant son.

Marilyn found her joy in being a mom. She was a devoted cheerleader, psychologist, chauffer, seamstress, housekeeper, cook and nurse. She has been blessed with a compassionate heart and a positive outlook.

Farrell worked hard each day to provide for such a large family. He spent most nights volunteering at church or supporting the kids in their many activities. He has a great ability to get things done and love people while doing it.

Together they built a happy life.

About a year and a half ago they entered the joyful ranks of retirement.

Some folks envision this stage of life filled with travel, golf, gardening, reading, relaxing and grandchildren.

Not these two.

They packed their bags and headed to the other side of the world. They arrived in a country called the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It is located in the heart of Africa.

They are currently serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They have been assigned to work in the humanitairan services the church is providing for that country.

The church provides relief and development projects in countries all over the world, without regard to nationality or religion of the recipients.

In case of natural disasters, war or famine, immediate help in the form of food or supplies is given. After urgent needs are met, the church helps with long term needs of the community.

The church's approach is to help people become self-reliant by teaching skills and providing resources for a self sustained life.

Donations are principally from church members but also from others not of our faith around the world. One hundred percent of the donations received are used for relief efforts. The church absorbs its own overhead costs.

Farrell and Marilyn have worked on initiatives to help the Congolese people become more self sufficient. Including neonatal resuscitation training, clean water projects, wheelchair distribution, vision treatment and measles vaccinations.

There have been ups.

There have been downs.

It's tough at times. The DRC is primitive in many ways. The people struggle for law and order, human rights and the basic necessities of life. Although French is the official language of the country, there are mixes of up to 240 other languages spoken. Not to mention that they are there at their own expense, about 3,300.00 per month.

They miss their kids and grandkids.

They have never even met these two:



But with hearts as big as the continent they have grown to love, they are making a difference.

One cup of clean water, one wheelchair, one set of eyes that can see again, one baby saved.

Click on the video below to see how they are changing the world...
one Child of God at a time.



You can read more about their experience at http://barlowsinthedrcongo.blogspot.com/
You can learn more about the humanitarian efforts of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints at http://www.newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/background-information/humanitarian-services

6 comments:

Michael said...

Well put Kimberly. Great writing too.

Anna said...

man, I had no idea their mission was so expensive. That's almost as bad as NYC. Wow.

Marianne said...

Okay, so I really have nothing to complain about. That was really touching - your in-laws are such great people!

Aimee said...

Thanks, Kimberly. I just put my make-up on for the day and then just cried it all off. I love your in-laws!

Melissa said...

What amazing examples to all of us. Thanks for sharing.

yiaya said...

Hi Sweetheart, It's the middle of the night and I couldn't sleep. I was feeling sorry for myself with my knee surgery. I decided maybe if I could check my Email just maybe I would have a message that would cheer me up. Well, am I ashamed of myself. That video really touched my heart. Thanks Kimberly. I love Marilyn and Farrell. I admire them in so many ways. I love my Barlow family. Love you, Mom