Sunday, July 6, 2008

What I Love About America

I love the fourth of July. It is my favorite holiday, even more than Christmas. What a great holiday weekend it has been. We celebrated with family parties, fireworks, swimming, golf and a funny play at Hale Theatre.

All of those things were fun but tonight as the weekend draws to a close, I can't help but feel so grateful for the opportunity of living in this country.

Here is what I love about America:

I love the idea of the American dream. I love that Lincoln fully expects to play baseball in the big leagues and then be a successful CEO.

I love that Rachel believes she can be a vet, an artist and also design a kitchen line similar to Martha Stewart's.

I love that my Mark and I can be on completely different sides politically, we can stay up late at night debating, we cancel each other out in the voting booth and yet we are happily married.

I love that I can practice my religion in the way I choose and respect the right of others to do the same.

I love that Lincoln's three best buddies are three different ethnicities.

I love baseball, apple pie and seeing Old Glory waving in the breeze.

I love what the Statue of Liberty represents and standing with reverence when I hear the Star Spangled Banner.

I love the soldiers who courageously kiss their loved ones goodbye and head to a war zone. I love the families they leave behind.

I love the way that I can't stop the tears when I hear God Bless the USA.

So when I say my prayers tonight, I will thank God for the fun we've had, for the memories we've made. But most of all, I will thank Him for blessing me to live in this country.