Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Eleven Twin Things



Eleven years ago today was the happiest day of my life to that point. Our twins were born.

Maybe it was that we had a five year struggle to get them here that made their arrival so miraculous, so joyful. I have still not come down from the thrill of having them.

In honor of # 11 I would like to share eleven sweet things about having twins.

1. They came with a bond that only twins can share. Although they each had their own nursery, they had to sleep together in the same crib or else they cried. In the morning when they would wake up, Lincoln's forehead would be plastered in Rachel's boogies from snuggling up during the night.

2. They also came with all boy, all girl personalities. Rachel is everything pink and sparkly. Lincoln is all about anything that involves a ball.


3. Although they are very different, they complement each other. Rachel keeps Linc organized and on time, Lincoln reminds Rach that mud pies and being goofy are good things.


4. They always have each other to lean on. When Lincoln was eight, he had to try out for baseball in front of about 200 people. He worried and worried for a solid week about how it would go. When the day finally arrived he bravely stepped up and did his best. I could see the fatigue and relief in his face as he finished and walked toward me. I held out my arms. He passed right by me and collapsed in Rachel's arms instead.

5. They are each others biggest fans. When Lincoln is up to bat, Rachel gets so nervous, she can barely look. On dance recital day, Lincoln sits through two recitals in a row without complaint.


6. They take care of each other. One day I was volunteering in their kindergarten class. They came in. Lincoln took off his backpack and handed it to Rachel. She went and hung up both backpacks. While she was doing that, he went and found their name cards and put them on the floor.

Rachel makes sure Lincoln gets his vitamins each day. Often when Linc is getting a drink or a bowl of cereal, he will ask Rach if she wants something.

7. They defend each other. Last summer I took them and some friends to the park. Some older boys were following Rachel and her friend around, trying to talk to them. Lincoln and his buddy noticed and came up with a plan. They went up to the older boys and Linc yelled, "Stay AWAY from my sister!" then Lincoln and his friend ran away as fast as they could.

8. They are teaching each other how to get along with the opposite sex. Rachel reminds Linc that girls don't like boys who burp and are loud. Lincoln informs Rachel that boys like girls who know how the game of football is played.


9. They know each other inside out, kind of like an old married couple. They finish each others sentences. They know the other's likes, dislikes better than I do.

10. They rarely argue. They get annoyed with each other now and then but they have never hit the other or called him or her a name. I can't remember them ever yelling harshly at each other.

11. They are my joy. There is nothing I would rather do than be their mom. It is my privilege in every way. They are double the joy and double the fun. They are not perfect kids but they are the perfect kids for me.

Happy Birthday my twins! I love you.


11 comments:

michele84084 said...

Kim- Your twins are just beautiful, inside and out. Can't wait to have Rachel in YW's next year so I can get to know her better!

wylie said...

Happy Birthday Lincoln and Rachel! That was a great post to read, better than any article on the unique bond of twins; real life examples complete with darling pictures to boot.

Angela said...

Give them a big happy birthday from John and I. I always wished I had a twin for all the reasons you listed. I'm still completely jealous. :) I'm sure you'll make sure they get to do something awesome- you always do.

Scarehaircare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scarehaircare said...

Christie and I used to fight over clothes or where the imaginary line was drawn signifying personal space in our shared room. Only once did we fight over a boy (well two, if you count Uncle Keith. I only threated to date him if she did not - I knew he was good for her long before she knew it.) Christie has always been my best friend. Twins rock!

Jenny said...

I just love those two. Happy Birthday Lincoln and Rachel! I hope you are having the best birthday ever!

Habs said...

Happy Birthday Linc and Rachel! Hope you have a wonderful day.

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday to my Janueary 13th babies! 11 years ago was one of my best Birthday's ever!! I love you both! Love, Lissie

Matthew said...

I always wished I had a twin, someone to wrestle with, beat on and get beat up by.

I think my twin would be evil. And we would call him Matt's Evil Twin. And he could get blamed for all the stuff that goes on. I am liking this idea more and more all the time.

Anyway, happy birthday to the coolest 11 year old twins I know ...

Amy said...

Those photos are so adorable. You have two amazing kids there.

Aimee said...

Wow -- I've known those two since they were 21 months old. Time really flies! So many of our family memories include them. What great kids. What great parents. Those pictures were adorable!!