Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Everyone Needs a Mark


The best decision I have ever made was marrying my Mark. We fell in love at the tender age of seventeen. The first time my dad met Mark he said, "Kimberly, that young man is a gentleman." Dad was right.

We started dating in April of our jr. year of high school and we didn't have a first kiss until about ten months later. I kept waiting for it to happen but night after night he would give me a little kiss on the cheek and that was it. We held hands eveywhere we went, but no kisses. One night we had been to a Jazz game. I had driven us in my familiy's very big, very blue station wagon. I thanked him for inviting me and leaned over expecting the regular kiss on the cheek. Not this time. He kissed me right on the lips. Right in the station wagon. Right in his driveway.

After that I knew I wanted to marry him someday. We graduated high school, went to a year of college, then Mark left to serve a mission in Hawaii. He fell in love with serving the Lord on those islands and that feeling has never left him. He has a solid knowledge and testimony of the gospel and he lives it.

The two words that best describe Mark are humble and gentle. He never gets angry, he just doesn't know how. He has not spoken a critical word or raised his voice to me or the kids. There have been times when I have deserved a scolding (like when I didn't lock his car and the stereo got stolen) but harsh words never came. A few weeks ago, I turned a batch of whites into pink and he still hasn't mentioned it. Linc grumbled a little bit about having to wear pink underwear, but not Mark.

After 16 years of marriage, he still makes my heart skip. I think he looks even more handsome and distinguished with a little gray here and there. I love his smile and the way he makes me laugh. I love the way he rarely calls me by my name, instead he calls me Soleil. (the French word for sunshine) He has a calming nature and he makes me feel safe.

I appreciate the kind of father he is. Rachel and Samantha will have a hard time finding someone who will measure up to their dad. Lincoln has an excellent role model to follow.

Overall, we make a good team. Oh, I know he's not perfect. He has an unbreakable habit of leaving his socks on the floor and today he will vote for the wrong political party, but I have been blessed.

Many years ago, a friend said to me, "Everyone needs a Mark". I agree.

3 comments:

Scarehaircare said...

I'm grinning from ear to ear because I know the REAL Mark. And, yes, he does measure up to all that. Its not just his wife-who-loves-him bragging. He really is that good of a man.

Funk Master B said...

Mark has a strange habit of cheating at card games and such. I haven't been able to bust him for it yet, but i'm convinced!


That said, he is still one of my many heroes.

Anonymous said...

Kim -

I'm sure that if Mark were asked he would have equally as kind of things to say about you. I can see how he looks at you from the stand in church each Sunday and the love that he has for you. I have to admit, that a twang of jealousy does creep in when I see him look at you with that look. But as the saying goes - you attract what you are - so you must be equally as wonderful to him. I can only hope that I can say such wonderful things about Casey after 15 years of being together.