Friday, February 8, 2008

To Wii or Not to Wii part 2

"I need an extension" was my answer last Monday night when the twins asked me for a decision concerning their Wii crusade.

What they didn't know was that I had already decided (thanks to the unanimous response of friends and family) to go ahead and make the purchase. It turns out that making the decision to buy a Wii was only half of it. Actually finding one was an adventure all its own.

I made a friend at Costco who gave me a tip on a day and time to be there. Unfortunately I got there too early and by the time I came back, it was too late. I have made phone call after phone call. "Nope" "Sorry", and "Haven't seen one since before Christmas" have been the standard answers.

This morning I sat down to make my usual calls. The last place on my list was a Target near our home. "We just got ten in this morning" said a nice lady with a heavy spanish accent. I wanted to jump through the phone and hug her. I hurried to Target just in time. As fast as they could be brought from the back room, they were snatched up.

I have to admit that I was a little troubled by the two middle age men behind me in line. They were unkempt and over weight. Why aren't they at work? I wondered. Maybe they can't hold jobs because they are addicted to video games, I answered to myself. Why are they here together? Maybe their wives got fed up with their addictions and kicked them out. Why are their clothes worn out? Maybe they spent all their money on video games and they don't have any left to buy new clothing. Suddenly I had an alarming image in my mind of Lincoln in forty years.

Luckily for Lincoln, my conscience stepped in and scolded me for judging, then reassured me that it will be ok. I took a deep breath as I swiped my debit card.

So now I am sitting here with the best surprise that Lincoln and Rachel will get this year. I think I will wait until Valentine's night to give it to them. Maybe we will send them on a treasure hunt or something fun. I hope they appreciate all my efforts, I hope that this will be a good thing, and most of all I hope that that in forty years Linoln's wife still likes me.

4 comments:

Anna said...

your kids are going to be so excited! (I'm not sure if you remember me--I'm Kevin's daughter). We don't have a Wii, but we played it with some friends at a big party a few weeks ago...the bowling game was a blast and something even you and Mark could get in on. And you should...you'll get tons of cool points for playing. :)

Scarehaircare said...

I was against a Wii until my ward had an adult Wii night and we had to dress alike for teams. It was a riot. I discovered that I am really bad at tennis but I might show promise in boxing.

My kids are begging. Should I just hold out and send them to you house?

Funk Master B said...

I'm coming over!

Melissa said...

KEEP US POSTED!!!!!!