Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Lincoln, A 4th Grade Babe


"A lot of girls at school like Linc", Rachel stated while sipping on a cup of hot chocolate. "Really?' I answered, trying not to sound surprised. She went on to tell me some of the top secret details that only a twin sister would reveal: One girl wrote, "I love Lincoln" on her folder. Someone else asked Rachel if Lincoln was available or not. Another told Rachel that she thinks Lincoln is cute.

Later that week, I was talking with a friend on the phone and she mentioned it as well. She said that she had received information from a very reliable 10 year old source, that Lincoln is indeed a 4th grade babe.

"Lincoln?" "Are you sure about that?" Mark said with a chuckle when I broke the news to him. The proof came the very next day. I was doing my weekly bedroom cleanliness inspection. I bent down to look under the bed, and there in a neat little pile were two love notes.

My favorite said this:

Hi Lincoln,
I was wondering if you like Kansas City Chiefs & Utah Jazz
Yes or No (circle one)
PS Do you like me?
Yes or No (circle one)
PPS Do you think I'm cute? Yes or No
PPPS Do you want to hang out some time?
Please send back. From J_____.

I wanted to have a mom/son discussion about what he thinks about girls. I waited for Tuesday night. Mark is at church and Rachel is at dance so Lincoln and I usually pop a bowl of popcorn and play a game. We were in the middle of Clue when I casually asked him if he liked any of the girls at school.

"You mean besides Rach?" I nodded. "No Mom." "Well do you think any girls are cute?" "No Mom." "Well if you were going to think a girl was cute, who would it be?" "Nobody" Then he said, "Mom, do you mind if I plug my ears while you ask the rest of your questions?"
Hmmm I said to myself. I guess this conversation is over.

Lincoln has a sweet heart. He is a fast thinker which makes him funny. He is a good athlete and an "A" student. I know he is missing a few teeth, sometimes his clothes don't match and he can be kind of goofy, but if I were a 4th grade girl, I would probably have a little crush on him too.

3 comments:

Scarehaircare said...

You probably don't want to tell Linc that the love note and the conversation made his Auntie Carrie ROTFLOL! Oh my heavens, that was too funny!

Seriously, what mom wouldn't have that same conversation with their son (and get the same responses). Makes me grateful that my 5th grader's head is full of basketball and football, science and math, and books he's reading, with no room for girls.

Lincoln Farrell and Marilyn Barlow said...

Hands down he is a 4th grade babe but . . . tell the girls to stay away

Funk Master B said...

I know his pain. Elementary school girls are quite strange.