Monday, August 25, 2008

They Drove Me To It

Today I lost all rational thinking and did something crazy.

I couldn't help myself. I was driven to it by two fifth graders.

Do you realize what happens to a person when she sends two fifth graders off to
the first day of school? It's hard, worse than the first day of kindergarten.

Fifth grade is officially OLD.

Gone are the days when what you wore didn't matter much.
Hair bows are now a thing of the past.
Questions like, "Can I get a cell phone this year" start to creep up.

Today 5th grade, tomorrow college.
That is about how fast time flies by

"I don't like this", I complained to Mark.
"We have two official pre-teens now."
"Why can't we do kindergarten and first grade one more time?"

On the way out the door Linc was so kind as to remind me that 5th grade is when they have
the m-a-t-u-r-a-t-i-o-n program. "You know mom", he said, "the bugs and the bees talk".
He went on to suggest that I check him out early that day because his dad already told him all he needs to know.

I think that comment was the final straw.

I kissed them goodbye with no tears.
I maintained my composure during a walk with Roni.
I kept a stiff upper lip when Mark gently asked if I was doing ok.

But when I got to my hairdresser this afternoon, it all came tumbling out.
They are growing up too fast I confided in her.
They are not little anymore.
They are in 5th grade for crying out loud!

Then the crazy, irrational thinking took over.
It happened quickly, hastily. They whole thing was a blur.

One minute I looked like me, the next minute I looked like me
with someone else's hair sitting on my head.

Hair that is jet black and about eight inches shorter than it was this morning.

Note to self: Not a good idea to make a hair appointment when you are under duress.

"Hmm" said Lincoln. "That's different."
"I like it." Mark lied.
Rachel tried her hardest to make me feel better. "It will grow back".

Because I am a glass-half-full kind of gal, I said to myself:
Things could be worse......
My hair could be ten inches shorter than it was and I could have two 7th graders.

8 comments:

Ethan said...

Kimberly, It will grow back, and I'm sure it's FABULOUS--

Suzy

Christie said...

Or you could have a senior in high school and it wouldn't matter what your hair looked like because your entire world would be a haze of denial that this time next year you would be left the lone woman in the world of testosterone and dirty socks....

Scarehaircare said...

You didn't post pictures?

My baby started first grade. My Firstborn is a sophmore in HS. I'm the oldest woman in college. Maybe I should get my hair cut. :)

Funk Master B said...

Hey guess what? I'm 30. That makes me roughly a 24th grader eh?

Angela said...

Where's the picture? I'll bet it looks great!

Shirlene said...

We wanna see pictures!!! It's kind of fun to do something a little crazy once in awhile...good for you. There's nothing wrong with change, and you'd look gorgeous with any type of hair.

Melissa said...

Request for pics immediately,
if not sooner.Please!!
I'm still laughing about the "bugs" and bees comment. But no more hairbows!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! That is enough to drive any Mom to drastic measures. I bet you are just darling though.

Lincoln Farrell and Marilyn Barlow said...

I laughed (nostalgically) all through this blog and kept on laughing right on through all the comments.
Come on - you got a life, now give up the picture!