Monday, August 4, 2008

Joyfully Tired

Have you ever heard the term "joyfully tired'?
Those two words together are so contradictory, they almost qualify as an oxymoron.

How can a person be tired to the point of exhaustion and yet be completely joyful about it?

I'll tell you how in one simple word....

SAMANTHA.

Not even ten months old yet and she has her own ideas.

For example:

She absolutely refuses to take a bath in the bathroom next door to her bedroom.

She only likes baths in MY tub. So in the basket where I used to keep candles and bubble bath, you will now find foam toys and baby soap.
She insists that she is big enough to do stairs. She is not.
She has turned into a baby food snob. Forget about strained carrots. She wants to eat what we are eating and by the way, she will feed herself, thank you very much.
Choking hazards of every shape and size are constantly stored in her mouth.

We were out to lunch a couple of weeks ago when she decided to snack on a paper napkin.

I quickly fished out chunks of napkin from her mouth. The next day we were at church (a full 24 hours later) when I noticed something white near her bottom teeth.

Guess what it was? Yep, a large piece of napkin had been hiding out in her cheek.

She simply does not have time to sit around during a diaper change. She waits for the moment when you are rolling up the old diaper and unfolding the new one. Then she is off.


Curtains have been pulled down, drawers have been emptied.

Mark came home last week and made a declaration.
"You look so tired" "Tonight I am going to give your feet the royal treatment!"
WOW! GREAT! CAN'T WAIT! I cheered.

So we put the kids to bed a little early. I took a warm shower so that my feet would be nice and clean for the big event. I stretched out on the bed while my personal masseuse was finishing up a few things.

Then I promptly fell asleep. Mark came in and tried to wake me. I muttered something about a raincheck.

Sometimes I review how much life has changed in the past year. Wow is it different.

And you know what?

I wouldn't trade one

draining, depleting, over extending, sleepy,

blissful, delightful, jubilant, joyful moment.

5 comments:

Aimee said...

Oh Kimberly, this is so true! Don't little ones just take everything we have and yet we wouldn't trade them for anything? It makes me tired just reading about Samantha. She's absolutely adorable, though!

Lincoln Farrell and Marilyn Barlow said...

I think I am getting homesick. I need some "Samantha Sugar" Not sure I can wait much longer.

Scarehaircare said...

I love being able to read about this so I don't feel like I am missing so much.

Amy said...

It couldn't be harder or more rewarding at the same time. I'm am finding that my little girl is much more mischeivious than my boys ever were, but they are so much fun.

Melissa said...

I'm laughing because I just posted about Riah being such a rascal. Everything you have said fits in the Mariah category. What joys they are! I can't imagine life without!