Thursday, February 5, 2009

Milestones



Last night was one of those bitter sweet milestones that come with parenthood. My Lincoln officially graduated from cub scouts.



I remember buying that trusty blue shirt when he turned eight. I got it plenty big so that he would have room to grow. The shirt that started out touching his knees now fits just right.



Yesterday as I was gathering a few items to take to the ceremony I started to fight that familiar lump in the throat / tears in the eyes feeling that always comes with these kinds of occasions.



I was Linc's den leader for the first two years. Growing up with no brothers, I had no idea what I was doing. But little by little we figured it out.



I thought of all the activities (Cubs in the Kitchen was especially memorable), the crafts, the experiments, the fieldtrips. All those belt loops, patches and pins, but mostly all the fun we had along the way. Rachel came to every den meeting. She probably earned as many awards as the boys.




I felt deep appreciation for the leaders that have taught him well. This past year he was able to earn all 20 webelo pins! That is some dedicated leaders. I feel so grateful to have such good people surrounding my boy.




During the flag ceremony I started to get a little emotional. The clubhouse was filled with younger scouts and their families. We also had family and friends who came to support Lincoln. I bit my lip in a fruitless effort to stop its quivering. I swallowed hard and blinked harder.



They dimmed the lights and called Mark, Lincoln and me to the front. Cubmaster Bruce put on his Indian head-dress and told of an old legend that Mother Earth taught the animals of the forest about helping other people.





Then he asked Lincoln if he would commit to be of service to others all his life. Lincoln said he would and after repeating the scout law and oath he was ready to cross the bridge from cub scouts to boy scouts.



He turned around and looked up at me. "Mom, this is the last hug you will ever get from me as a cub scout" he said. Then he threw his arms around me extra tight.



"Don't cross the bridge!" I wanted to shout. I thought about scooping him up and running out the door.



I watched him in his "too big" boy scout shirt as he crossed the bridge into growing up. Tears came, I couldn't help it. My heart swelled with love for this kid. His blue eyes, his freckled nose and gappy smile. I love the person he is and the glimpses I see of the man he will become.



As I was packing away that trusty blue shirt last night I could see in my mind's eye another little boy with blue eyes, a freckled nose and gappy teeth.....



I could see Lincoln showing his own son that old and faded but ever trusty blue shirt, with all its patches and pins



.....and that thought made me smile.



4 comments:

Jenny said...

Still love that boy! Cub scouts is great but scouting is even better. Isn't it funny how they seem to grow into those shirts.

Funk Master B said...

Get that Eagle buddy!

Melissa said...

Very sweet and tender! The arrow of light ceremony is cool, huh? I know what you mean about them growing up too fast. I'm freaked out quite a bit over it. How can we slow it down? I wish I had the answer! P.S. Mark looks exactly how my husband always looks....in a suit! :)

Aimee said...

Congratulations, Lincoln! What a great accomplishment. Matt is excited to have Linc at Scout Camp this summer!!