Monday, February 9, 2009

Practice, Prayer and a Wannabe Pianist

About five months ago I was summoned to the stake offices to meet with a member of the stake presidency. Now Mark happens to be part of that group so naturally I thought he might have some inside information.

He answered honestly that he didn't know the details but since I was meeting with President Baker it most likely involved a Primary assignment.

No problem, I thought. I had just been released from being the music leader in primary after nearly four years. I am comfortable with callings in primary. Primary is my area.

President Baker is a good friend of ours. I wasn't nervous at all. We talked for a few minutes and then he told me the assignment he had in mind for me:

To work with the Spanish Ward in their primary music. They wanted me to be the chorister for a few months and then to be the pianist indefinitely.

I answered that I will do whatever I am asked to do but there were a couple of concerns.
1. I don't speak Spanish.
2. I'm not a pianist.

He smiled and told me that the kids all speak English and as far as the piano goes, Heavenly Father would help me with that one.

He was right about the kids. Perfect English, perfect Spanish. They are absolutely amazing.

The difficult, challenging, worrisome part was the piano. My partner Julie and I trade off weeks and she is an ace pianist. The "play anything on a moment's notice" type.

Shortly after Christmas, a Spanish speaking chorister was called and my piano playing duties began. I practiced, I prayed, I practiced, I prayed. I just didn't want to be a distraction by fumbling the notes and I wanted to make it easy for the new song leader.

The twins saw my anxiety. A couple of Sundays (not a fast Sunday) ago I was getting breakfast for everyone and Lincoln said he didn't want anything. "I'm going to fast for you today Mom" he said. "I want you to know that you can do it!"

I was humbled by his sweetness. He really wanted to help me and this was a way that he could. After church that day he pulled me into my room. "Mom, do you want to be with me when I break my fast?" he asked.

Tears rolled down my cheeks as we knelt together in prayer. My son pleading to the Lord on my behalf. He asked Heavenly Father to bless my hands that they wouldn't shake and that I would be able to play well. It was one of those moments I will never forget.

Since then Ive seen myself improving. Rachel tells me how great it sounds when I am practicing. "Wow!" she cheers "You're awesome!"

Yesterday before we left for church, Rachel offered a simple and sincere prayer that I would be able to get through "How Firm A Foundation" (4 flats in that hymn) with no mistakes. And guess what? I did!

While I am not worthy to claim the title of "pianist" with practice, prayer and and the faith of my twins, maybe that day will come.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

What a sweet story. Our kids really do watch and learn from us. What a compliment to you and Mark. And congrats on nailing the song! YOU ARE DEFINATELY A PIANIST IN MY EYES!!!

Terry said...

That is the cutest thing I have heard in a long time! One of my goals since finishing school is to take up piano again. My kids will probably be praying too...that I learn to play so it doesn't hurt their ears! :)

Scarehaircare said...

From a long time pianist - you are a pianist. My hands still sometimes shake when I have to play. I have great faith in the prayers of children.

Aimee said...

I look at it this way... you always wanted to be a pianist. There is no better "teacher" out there than the Lord. Truly, you are getting a crash-course in learning to play the piano, but the extra blessings to do it faster. (Kind of like the MTC and learning languages...) I am so proud of you!!

Melissa said...

Wow! That is an amazing story. Thank you so much for sharing it. It brought tears to my eyes.

Alicea said...

Wow, you will be wonderful! Victoria still says you are the best singer in the ward and that you know every church song. As for piano, good luck, have the twins give you a sticker every-time you practice. Black note are you friend...Oh and make sure you always have a fun piece to play along with the hymns (Wicked or anything broadway helps) =)