Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Thank Heaven for Little Boys


I grew up in a family of five daughters. My dad was the only male besides our dog, Rags. My mom also has four sisters and no brothers. Needless to say, we had no idea about little boys.
When my sister Jenny had a son, we were thrilled. My sisters and I came to the hospital to see our new nephew. Although we arrived at different times, we all did the same thing... we peeked in his little diaper to see for ourselves that we really had a boy in the family.

When Lincoln was born I entered a new and wonderful world. When he was little, I was introduced to trucks, trains, Rescue Heroes and Buzz Lightyear.

A few days ago I went upstairs to clean the bathroom and there were at least fifty army men set up around the tub. Each one strategically placed. I didn't have the heart to move them.

My life is filled with all things sports. I willingly watch the Red Sox. I know the players, their positions and some of their stats. I love little league. I feel the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat right along with Linc. In the fall I sit through hours and hours of football practice. I worry when the opposing team has big kids and I cheer when Lincoln makes a good tackle. Tomorrow, basketball begins. I know the rules and I understand "screens" and "picks". I recognize most of the Jazz players and I can usually tell you their win / loss record.

The best day of Lincoln's month is when the Sports Illustrated for Kids arrives in the mail. I love his daily (sometimes hourly) sportscasts. You name the team and player and Lincoln usually knows something about him.

Two years ago I was put in as the wolf den leader in cub scouts. When I first got the manual it seemed so overwhelming. Now I can tell you about achievements, badges, arrow points, pack meetings and cub country.

I love the person Lincoln is and the glimpses I see of the man he will become. I respect him. He is smart and funny. Having a twin sister has helped him be sensitive and kind to girls. He compliments Rachel and holds doors for us. He lets me kiss the freckles on his nose and he asks to sit on my lap at church.

Lincoln has brought out things in me that I did not know were there. I am grateful to be his mom. Thank heaven for little boys.

No comments: