Sunday, January 13, 2008

It Takes A Village


Lincoln and Rachel turned ten today. We had a great weekend celebrating together. The highlights were going to breakfast with YiaYia & Papou yesterday and a visit / game playing session with Uncle Nate today.

I did well. I only cried twice and it was brief both times.

Tonight the presents are put away, the cake crumbs are swept up and in a few minutes, I'll take the decorations down. The twins are tucked in and Mark is reading. It is quiet and I have time to reflect on the past ten years

My heart is full of thanks for all the people that have crossed our paths over the years. I believe that it does take a village to raise a child, and tonight I want to thank some of the villagers.

Thank you to our wonderful families. The twins have four incredible grandparents. Mark's parents live right next door and it has been a unique and special experience to have Grandma and Grandpa right there when you need a buddy to play cowboys and indians with or a friend to talk to. My mom and dad host regular "grandkid parties". They have all the grandchildren over for a sleepover. They always have activities, crafts and treats. This time together is precious and it binds the cousins together. Thank you to our brothers and sisters and their sweet families for their influence and example.

Thank you to primary teachers who have taught them about Jesus and helped them to recognize and feel the spirit. There have been many lessons and sharing times that have left imprints on their minds and hearts. Thanks also to a caring and thoughtful home teacher who came over tonight to deliver birthday gifts.

Thank you to school teachers. We have loved every teacher they have had from preschool on up. This year they have a teacher who is bound and determined to turn them in to writers. Mark and I have been amazed at the way she inspires them.

Thank you to an incredible coach that has taught Lincoln so much more than rules and skills of the game. Lonny has shown through his example how to have integrity and sportsmanship. He has a way of making each boy feel like a champ.

Thank you to Brooke who has been a hero to Rachel. She has not only helped Rachel become a beautiful dancer, she has taught her lessons about dedication and commitment. Brooke is a wonderful role model and I am thankful for her.

Thank you to thoughtful friends. We live in a very closely knit neighborhood. I would like to have a bigger laundry room and garage but I can't see us moving away from so many people we love. Lincoln and Rachel have friends all over the neighborhood. All are outstanding kids. Rachel has had one special friend nearly all her life. Lincoln & Rachel have been fortunate to have their cousin Daniella live down the street and be in their school class.

I feel very grateful as I look over this amazing village. We could not do it without you. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kimberly,
You are such an inspiration to me. I love your positive, grateful, loving attitude about life. You are so wonderful!

Funk Master B said...

Thank you for having me over on Sunday. I had a blast hanging out with the kids and the food was excellent. I hope they had a good birthday.

Tiffany said...

Kimberly,
Thank you for being a kind and loving person. You have passed on that quality to your children. We are very blessed to have you in our family. My whole family loves you all!

Scarehaircare said...

Aw, I missed the party! Looks like you had a great time without me (because Nate was there.)

Melissa said...

How fast the time goes. I remember well the day they were born (my 20 something b-day). What a celebration it was. I will always say Rachel is part mine and I'm sure Marcus would say that Linc is part his. It was a great time for us, because that was before we had kids of our own and it really gave us something to look forward to. I love those babies!