Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thanks Mom


One of my favorite childhood memories happened the year I was in kindergarten. It was early October and I was walking home from school with some friends. We were on the next street over from mine, and I was looking between the houses trying to see my little yellow house. There is was. But wait! There was something different, something special ......my mom was putting up Halloween decorations! I got so excited , I started running as fast as my five year old feet would carry me. I ran all the way home.

That was my first memory of holiday decorations. My mom has a way of making every holiday special. She uses lights, bows, beads, cardboard cut-outs and just about anything else that will work. She bakes a bunny cake on Easter and a spider cake on Halloween. One July 4th she made us ride around the neighborhood in the back of a trailer singing patriotic songs. Many holidays she delivers treats and gifts to all the grandkids. Needless to say, I have been left without excuse.

So yesterday I pulled out the Valentine box. I had just hung the door decoration up when the twins got home from school. Lincoln walked right by without noticing, but not Rachel. "Wow Mom! The door looks great!" she said. We were sorting through the box together when Rach had a great idea. "Mom, let's go all out this year because it's Sam's first Valentine's Day."
How could I argue with that? So off to Target we went. We bought a strand of heart lights, pink and red doilies, and some window stickers.

By the time we got home it was dark and cold. We went outside and got busy. Our neighbor, Harro yelled over to us that it was 12 degrees but we didn't mind. Once we got the outside finished we went inside and taped the doilies to all of our front windows. Rachel kept running out to the sidewalk to see how it all looked. She would smile and give me the thumbs up sign.

These are the simple and yet lasting memories that my mother gave to me. I appreciate her and love her for it. These are moments I love sharing with my daughter. In my mind's eye I can see Rachel all grown up with a daughter of her own. I can picture green spaghetti noodles on St. Patrick's Day, shopping for just the right Christmas ornaments and I can see them stringing heart lights and taping doilies to the windows. Thanks Mom.

1 comment:

Aquasunset said...

Thanks for writing this commentary about your mom. She truly is a wonderful woman and I'm honored to know her. There have been many times over the years that I've thought of her during one holiday or another and remembered how she really put her heart into making them special. I learned so much from her over the years and she influenced my life maybe more than she realized. She even made our high school graduation great by giving you, Kirsten and I a gumball machine -- I thought it was greatest. I'm a better person for knowing her, and knowing and being involved with your family is truly a blessing.
Sarah