Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Love of God

There are a handful of times in life when you feel the love of Christ so strong that it fills the center of your soul. I'm not talking about the wonderful and frequent promptings of the spirit that happen. I mean the rare and precious moments when you feel heaven and earth almost touch.

I had one of those experiences this morning as we got up early, put on our best Sunday clothes and drove to the Conference Center to attend the viewing for President Hinckley.

As with most good plans, opposition always creeps in. It was a little harder than I thought to get five children (our three plus Daniella & Andy) and myself downtown to pick up Mark by 9:00 am. The car was out of gas, I took a wrong turn, got stuck waiting for the trains, had to go to three different doors at the Conference Center to check the stroller in, not to mention it was windy and 23 degees.

Samantha was fussy and I was worried as we headed up the escalator. I thought about turning around and letting Mark take the other kids, but as we approached the top floor, a feeling of peace and reverence flooded the room. "Our Savior's Love" was playing softly. It was almost like stepping out of earth and briefly into heaven. While many babies and children and hundreds of people were there, it was still and beautiful. It felt like being wrapped in a blanket of overwhelming love, the love of Jesus Christ.

President Hinckley looked so peaceful and yet so holy. A gentle glow seemed to radiate from him. Here was a man who truly knew the Savior. Tears began to fill my eyes and flow down my cheeks. I know without any doubt that he was a prophet of God.

He did many marvelous things during his time as our prophet but what I will remember most is his admonition to simply be a little kinder. Do a little better. Stand a little taller.

We decided to take the kids somewhere nice for breakfast. Mark asked each of them to share how they felt. I loved their answers. I know that they all have testimonies. They know who they are. They know that Jesus Christ knows them and they felt His presence today. They understand why they are here and where they are going.

These are the blessings of the gospel. This is the love that God has for all.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

mom, thanks for all you do for me!i love you!i felt the spirit to! thanks!

Scarehaircare said...

Oh how I wish I could be there. Thank you so much for sharing this experience.

We'll be gathered around the TV on Saturday to watch the funeral.

Lincoln Farrell and Marilyn Barlow said...

The effort was worth it. The kids will never forget they were there.

Christie said...

What a great experience for you all! We were unfortunately unable to attend the viewing. (High School Honors Programs have such strict attenendance policies and Jacob is sick) Thank you for sharing the experience with us!

Melissa said...

What a special memory. Thanks for sharing this.