Sunday, January 6, 2008

Turning Ten


Well, this time next week I will be the mother of two ten year olds. Birthday week is always an emotional time for me. I am sad to watch my twins turn another year older. I cry every January 13. For that matter, I cry every time they hit a milestone.

Most moms cheer when their child learns to ride a bike or loses a first tooth, I sob. The first day of school each fall is one of the hardest days of the year. Maybe it comes from having only two children who are the same age. Everything they do becomes a first and a last all rolled into one.

For many years I thought I wouldn't have another shot at shoes on the wrong feet, the first Sunday as a Sunbeam, learning to ride a two wheeler, the spring kindergarten program and the bike parade on the 4th of July. There have been so many moments in the last ten years that I wish I could freeze and do again.
When Samantha was born I thought for sure this feeling would disappear. It hasn't.

The happy news is that life seems to get better as we go along. It turns out that three was more fun than two, four was sweeter than three and so on. So far, nine has been the best year yet.

So this week I will cry a little. Mark knows it is coming and he will be extra sensitive. Lincoln and Rachel will reassure me that they will always be my babies and I will hold Sam and look forward to all the firsts we will get to do again.

2 comments:

Scarehaircare said...

They are getting so grown up! I loved having them here.

Aquasunset said...

Kim, I think Kirsten emailed me several months ago while I was in Hawaii and let me know you were having another baby. Now she's actually here already! This is such exciting news and babies are such a joy. Just want you to know how happy I am for you. Sorry I was buried in books for so many months and didn't tell you congratulations sooner.
Sarah