Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It's not easy being a Jazz fan

Ten years ago a true Jazz fan was born. His name is Lincoln.

I remember watching from my hospital bed as Mark held Lincoln while watching their first Jazz game as father and son.

Over the years Lincoln has learned players, positions, stats and strategies.

If he has to go to bed before a game is over, he falls asleep listening to the play by play on the radio. The next morning he races out to get the paper so that he can catch up on what he missed.

There have been cheers.
There have been tears.

It's not easy being a Jazz fan.

When John Stockton retired without ever winning an NBA championship, Lincoln cried, he was five.

Last year when the Jazz lost to "the worst team in the league", Lincoln sobbed, he was nine. (See video clip below)

Playoff season has begun. I dread it. It's emotional, worse than triplet teenage girls.

Here's to hoping this is the year the Jazz go all the way!
Here's to hoping that faithful Jazz fans everywhere will finally be rewarded.


Here's to hoping that my son will live through the month of May.

9 comments:

michele84084 said...

Oh Kim- that is hysterical!! I'm afraid I had to show some of my friends at work. And the dog!! The dog's reaction was perfect! Lincoln is just a doll- very passionate about his team. I love it!

Lincoln Farrell and Marilyn Barlow said...

Well Linc, My oh my, I do believe that was a bigger tizzy than the one I saw you pitch when you were going to get your flu shot. That is real passion. Got to love those diehard Jazz fans.

Aimee said...

That is the most amazing thing I've ever seen... 1) That he was so upset, and 2) that he let you film him like that and didn't care. What a hoot!

Angela said...

Wow! That's a true fan! I thought I loved the Jazz but I don't suppose I've ever gotten that upset. Except maybe over last nights game. :) Maybe we can all watch one of the games together this month. I know I'll be watching every one of them! GO JAZZ!!

Melissa said...

That was hystericl, emotional, intense. Maybe having just one boy isn't such a bad thing!
2 words: DIE HARD.
Love U Linc!

Julie Jones said...

Kimberly - I have never laughed so hard in all my life. My kids don't even cry that hard when their soccer team losses.

Matthew said...

I would be speechless, but I know that I cried over several BYU football games when I was younger

Ray Adams said...

That is great!! I can totally sympathize...Heidi said "That's how you look sometimes". It is tough being a Jazz fan.

utahman2004 said...

HE JUST FAKED IT