Thursday, March 20, 2008

If the Savior Stood Beside Me

My calling (assignment) at church for the last 3 1/2 years has been to teach the children music in primary. We have one new song per month that the church asks us to teach. For the month of March we have been learning a beautiful song entitled "If the Savior Stood Beside Me".

The first two verses are questions to ask yourself:

If the Savior was standing beside me would I:

Do the things I do?

Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true?

Would I follow His example?

Would I live more righteously?

Would I say the things I say?

Would my words be true and kind if He was never far away?

Would I try to share the gospel?

Would I speak more reverently?

I wanted the children to really feel the message of those verses so I brought them each a penny. I aked them to wear the penny in their shoe for a day and when they felt the penny, to think of Jesus and ask themselves the questions in the song.

The next Sunday, I asked who participated. Nearly every hand went up. I asked them to share some of their experiences. Here are a few:

"I was playing soccer when I felt the penny. It reminded me to be a good sport and play fair."

"My brother was bugging me and then I felt the penny. I decided to just be nice to him."

"I invited a girl to play that was feeling left out at recess."

"I told my family that I love them."

I am amazed and humbled by these little ones. I learn from their goodness and examples. Last week when they sang, tears rolled down my cheeks.

The third verse is my favorite:

He is always near me, though I do not see Him there,

and because He loves me dearly I am in His watchful care.

So I'll be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be,

if I could see the Savior standing nigh watching over me.

When we truly understand the depth of the Savior's love for us, we start to comprehend the depth of our own worth. We feel safe and warm and we know that we can get through tough times.

I'm so grateful for Jesus Christ. I am grateful that I can repent of mistakes and try harder next time.

Because I am not as Christlike as the children I teach, I wore my penny for three days. Each time I felt it and thought of Jesus I wanted to be better. Kinder, more patient, more loving.

Below is a slide show to this beautiful song. (Thanks to my Mark)

Have a wonderful Easter weekend.

JesusChrist.lds.org





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing that Kim. I needed something to remind me today that the Savior is by my side.

Aimee said...

I feel bad for those of you who don't get to be in Primary with Kimberly. She truly is one of the best Primary music people in the whole church. We all learn so much!!