Thursday, March 27, 2008

Wilson and the Bad Mom Day

Do you ever have one of those bad mom days?

Yesterday was my turn on the rotation.

I woke up with every good intention. Samantha and I have been walking the twins to school this week. Yesterday we got up early, ate a big french toast breakfast and headed out the door.

We were about half way up the street when Lincoln remembered Wilson. Wilson is Lincoln's trusty volleyball. Remember Castaway? Similar relationship here. Wilson goes to school with Linc often. Wilson has been kicked, thrown, sat on, left out in the elements and lost and found about a half dozen times. He is a true friend.

Traffic is busy in the mornings and I didn't want Wilson to roll into the street and cause an accident so I suggested that we put him in the stroller basket. He seemed to fit well. Lincoln kept peering down to check on him. "You alright down there Wilson?" he asked.

Things were going along fine until we reached the busy intersection at the top of the hill. We decided to run so that we could make the green light. As we were sprinting across the street I must have hit a rock, the stroller jerked slightly and horror of horrors occurred... Wilson fell out.

WILSON! We all screamed. Tom Hanks couldn't have said it with more emotion. Cars were swishing by and Wilson was rolling in between them. I had to look away, I couldn't stand to watch.

Finally, the sound that broke my son's ten year old heart. A big pop. A car smashed Wilson flat.

Lincoln's blue eyes filled up with tears. Rachel and I threw our arms around him and I apologized about 100 or so times.

"I'll buy you another one", I said with a heavy heart.

"It won't be the same", he sobbed.

I felt sick. How could I be so careless?

We finally arrived at school. I gave him a hug and sent him to class. It was a long walk home for me. When I got back to the intersection, there was not a car in sight, just poor Wilson, flattened in the crosswalk.

I parked the stroller and picked him up. When the twins got home from school they thanked him for being a good ball and we placed him in the garbage can.

Today we will go shopping for a new volleyball.

Today I will try not to be the cause of heart break for any ten year olds.

Today will be a good mom day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kimberly - I'm amazed that you are up and rarin to go by 7:30. I get up at 6 to feed Sammy and then make sure the girls are getting ready for school and then climb back into bed to snuggle with Casey for a little while longer. I can't possibly imagine being that great a mom. Every time I read your blog, you inspire me to do better (not that I will be walking the 2 miles to school and back tomorrow however).

Funk Master B said...

Tom Hanks didn't get a new vollyeball.

Scarehaircare said...

Check this out. You will not feel like the Worst Mama Ever. One of my BFFs is one of the bloggers

http://worstmamaever.blogspot.com/

Marianne said...

That is a very, very sad story! I happened on your Blog from Aimee's and didn't know you blogged. Love reading about your cute family!

Aimee said...

Wow, I wish my most shameful Mom moment was something like this!