Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Walks and Talks


Want to get in touch with your kids?

Go for a walk together.

I learned this lesson many years ago from my BFF, Kirsten's dad. They had ELEVEN kids in their family. (For my non Mormon friends who may be wondering, yes, they were all from the same mom)

Nearly every night you could look out the window and see Neils (dad) walking with one or more of his brood. Sometimes they would break into a slow jog but the key was, they were always talking.

One thing that I am pretty good at is learning from people that I respect and admire. Neils Pedersen fits that bill. He and his amazing wife managed to raise eleven outstanding kids. Every member of that family is smart, musical, creative and kind.

They really are that great.

One factor has to be all that walking.

So about six weeks ago, we started walking together several times a week. We have a two mile path around the perimeter of our neighborhood that is perfect for the occasion. The twins and I bundle up, put Samantha in the stroller and we're off. No distractions like ipods or cell phones, just raw time together.

I have been amazed at the conversation. We talk about everything from recess to the school lunch menu, to books, sports and friends.

Some of my favorite topics have been goals for the future:

(Lincoln: play for the Red Sox and Jazz, then retire and become owner and CEO of several sporting goods stores. One in each capital city, to be precise. If time permits, do a little sportscasting on the side. Get married and have five sons so that he has his own basketball team. Have two cats and one dog.)

(Rachel: be a baby doctor or a vet. Marry a man as nice and handsome as Daddy. Live next door to mom and dad, have a boy / girl set of twins and then another daughter. Good plan. Have two dogs, one black and one white. Possibly design fancy dresses and accessories and decorate peoples homes for them. )

We have talked about the birds and the bees, life and death, troubles and joys. Oh, the things you can learn from two fourth graders!

Sometimes it's cold and I'm tired. Sometimes I'd rather camp out on the sofa and turn on Oprah.
Then I think of Neils.
I find myself gathering my little chicks and hitting the trail. So far, they have been eager and willing to go. I'm sad for the day that changes.

Oprah will have to wait for another season of life.

Raw time together ...... there is nothing else quite like it.

Thanks Neils.

No comments: